Friday, June 15, 2007

I think that we might just have a summer this year.


It was almost a year ago that we began our journey with "cancer" in our luggage. The new baggage. It has been a trip like no other. No breath taking views, except for the 3D imaging of a PET Scan. They are so cool. I guess that the OR at Sloan-Kettering was amazingly state of the art. I didn't get to see that. You don't need much when you're going into the hospital. They give you all of the clothes that you will need for a few days. You get fed very well at Sloan-Kettering, you actually order off of a room service menu. It sounds lovely, but it is still a very scary place to be eating. So the packing is pretty easy. It's the other baggage that you carry on those trips that is such a burden. It's nothing that you can get used to, just numbed or oblivious maybe.
It's not as much fun as packing for your trips with a new baby. That was fun work, remembering all of the diapers that you will need, enough clothing for any weather contingency and food, snacks, toys for playing in the car and anywhere else. That was exhausting, but fun. The stress was always the good kind. The pictures were the proof.
I don't really like this new type of adventure. I don't hate everything about it though. I think that I can really appreciate regular days. I LOVE great days, sunny warm days with family or friends. I even love rainy days! The quiet peace of a slow -rainy -day. I think that I have become more patient now. I am absolutely afraid of more things. I believe that I am more brave than I have ever been. Not as brave as he is though.
I know that we will be traveling on this path forever now. Whether it's hiding, or right up front, it's always some part of our itinerary, our life. I can't change that. I wish that I could! But maybe it what makes us who we are meant to be?

1 comment:

Mississauga Kids said...

I am delighted to find your blog and will be back to read more.

My mom was just diagnosed with stage 4 lung and brain cancer in May. We are all learning many new life lessons now.

Thank you for your insights.