I've just printed out the newest "fence pictures" to be placed in the Rolodex in the front room at the beach house. They will be there to document the summer of 2008 and its' newest addition to our family, ALIZA. It will be so much fun to watch Aliza grow up-- along the fence. I can see her now with her sun tanned little self ,happily tired, teeth coming and going, band aids, ponytails and bathing suits. Thanks for reminding me Lisa.
It's so easy to get caught in the hurry of everyday. We almost forgot to take a minute and mark the time. We were all down at the beach house over the weekend. I had planned a dinner to celebrate the third wedding anniversary of Lisa and Russ, the second for Beth and Scott. When Aliza arrives the entire focus turns to every breath that she takes and how she takes it. I just love everything that she does! (Sorry kids, she is just so cute!) So how could I have forgotten to document this time with a fence picture? It is a tradition that has been long standing, that all new family members and guests are photographed along the fence, whether they like it or not, it is tradition. My mother-in-law began doing it when the fence was put up. It was, at times the worst part of the day. Everyone was tired, hot and ready to lay on the mattress and watch TV or to finally take that much needed shower.
"OK!" she would yell.
"Everyone outside for the fence picture!" Year after year, out we would trot to the fence and stand as directed for the picture. We would grimace and eventually we would all smile and it would be done.
After she passed away I gathered all of the fence pictures and put them all together in a Rolodex on the desk in the front room. I now look through them on occasion. They make me laugh... and cry as I remember the days that they were taken. I am so happy to have them there to look at. Thanks for remembering Lisa, how important the simple things can be.
1 comment:
No need to apologize for wanting to stare at every breath Aliza takes! Isn't that the way it is supposed to be!?!
It's funny--when I first joined your family there were special things that made ME feel special and included....like the fence pictures. I had heard about them before I even laid eyes on Russ, and the fact that the first time I met all of you I got to be IN a fence picture made me feel so much a part of the family. The other was pictures on your fridge... another tradition of yours that I had heard about. I felt I had arrived when my face appeared on your fridge. Just small ways you made me feel loved and included and a member of your family! I love that Aliza will grow up with so many wonderful memories at the beach house, with the fence pictures to prove it!
Post a Comment