This weekend my sister became ill. She was home alone, her husband was traveling for work. She was having a severe amount of pain and drove herself to the Emergency Room at a nearby hospital. I didn't hear about it until she called later in the day on Sunday. Her husband was in the air, flying home to get to the hospital. Her youngest son was bravely by her side. He's pretty young, not really medically oriented and pretty naive about surgery and all it entails. So I was really afraid.... I hate living so far apart. I felt so helpless and I knew that she was helpless too.
My heart was in my throat when I heard her voice. Her voice was so weak and shaky. She had been given pain medication and they were taking her to the OR. It was obviously too late to ask many questions...she was on her way to be operated on!
A few hours later I heard from her family that she was out of the OR and doing well in recovery . Thank Goodness!
I thank them all very much for keeping me informed. I don't know if they understand what our bond or relationship is, we live so far apart. But we talk almost everyday! We're sisters. I don't think that kids understand those things about their parents.
My concerns continue. They still don't know exactly what is causing her pain. The surgery was NOT the solution to the problem. As the days passed this week, more and more tests and consultations have been done. So far there are no absolute answers.
She was discharged today and she is happy to be home resting. She's tired, sore and still has unanswered questions as to what is wrong. Her husband is, thankfully, a loving and tireless advocate and strong support system for her.
Her family will be gathering at her home this weekend. They are all used to being lovingly waited on, cooked nice meals from a fully stocked refrigerator and well loved. She will need to be the one who is loved and cared for this weekend. I know that her kids will all pitch in to help her in the same ways that she has always been there for all of them.
1 comment:
Give her my best!
Post a Comment