This picture has always been one of my favorites. I first saw it when I was around eight or nine. I was about the same age that my mother was in this picture.She's photographed with her best friend Ann Coleman. She looked just like this for most of her life.
Sadly, she died young. Lately I've been trying hard to remember her. I remember the stories that she read to me, and the songs that she used to sing.
She was funny and smart. She loved to sing and dance. She was very artistic. She made most of my very best dresses for Easter or church or Christmas. She could knit my sister and me a new sweater (remember mohair sweaters?) over the weekend to wear with a new A-line skirt that she had made to match it. When I went to my formal dances as a teenager she not only made my dress, but she made a full length dress coat to wear over it.
She always looked amazing. Do all children think that their mothers are beautiful? She was.
She kept her hats for church in beautiful hat boxes all lined on the shelf in her closet. Her dresses and high heels were all perfect. She wore "Jackie Kennedy pill box hats" when they became fashionable and cropped pants and flats on her slender frame. She never weighed more that 100 pounds soaking wet. Her hair was always done and her makeup was just right.
That's a lot to live up to! I never became my mother completely. But I like to think that I've managed to bring some of the things that I loved about her into my life to share with my family.
I wonder what my children will remember about me?

1 comment:
This is a beautiful post Mom. I've never seen that picture and I knew instantly that it was Nana. I wish I could've known her like that but I love to hear you write about it. I think you are more like her than you know. In my eyes you've lived up to her in so many ways and also become a wonderful Mom and Grandmother in your own unique and amazing way. I'd need a lot more space than this to write about what I'll remember about you...too many good things to list.
I love you!
Post a Comment