My heart is pounding with the thought of being together again.
I get excited and think about what we might do and where we might go.
I am sleepless and happily exhausted.
I can't wait to have my hand touched or my face brushed by an innocent stray movement or even better an intentional one.
I'm falling in love again.
I'm feeling all of those wonderful old feelings again.
I'm shivering and filled with anticipation.
I await the magical moments of being together with that someone who lights up my day.
I'm having a love affair with....
My granddaughter.
She is my first. It's all so new to me. I've watched her and spent time with her, but this is different. It's just Aliza and me on our days. It's really magical.
Aliza is almost six months old. I'm helping with her daycare. Her wonderfully loving mother has to return to her job and I am blessed to be available to help out. I'll be sharing the responsibility with her other grandmother. Together we will do our best to keep Aliza safe and happy.
It's so strange and unexpected. I've always loved her, right from the start when I first saw her, but something about this time is different. This is a new, very magical time for us that I hadn't expected. I didn't know about it. I had been warned about it, the overwhelming love that you'll feel. It is so perfect. It is the time when it is just Aliza and me. Now she babbles and asks me for simple things, like a hug or a change of scenery. It's new for us. I've never known this feeling and I can't wait to see her again.
The reality is I'm more tired out and older now. I'm exhausted at the end of our days. I couldn't possibly give her the 24-7 care that she will need for so many years to come. She has her young parents who are full their own love and tons of energy to give to her. I'm the "other love". I'm the older, "I'm just here -part of her life," that is really just perfect for both of us.
Maybe that's part of Gods plan too? The grandmother bond.
I love it!! What a magnificent gift.
1 comment:
It is a magnificent gift to Aliza that she is getting time with her Grams. And it is an even MORE magnificent gift to her mommy and daddy that she is with someone who loves her SO much and who keeps her safe and sound. Returning to work would have been even harder if it weren't for you and my mom. I'm so blessed and there isn't a thank you big enough for you.
Post a Comment