Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I'm pushing everyone I know...


Today is Primary Day- Super Tuesday- A big day for some and nothing to so many. What makes you give up your right or duty to place your vote to determine your countries direction? I just don't get it. I've spoken with so many people who just don't care. Here we are in the richest state in our union, with so many freedoms and choices. Are we so disinterested that we would rather sit around and complain than participate? People around the world die attempting to gain the right to cast a vote. To have a voice in their lives they walk for days. So many of us can't be bothered to drive out and just do it.
Recently I read a serious proposal in one state about "paying" our children to learn. Children around the world today yearn to have the opportunity to go to school. Our children can't be bothered. They are bored or overwhelmed. What's up with us?? Is it our attitudes that are being telegraphed possibly to our young? Are we teaching them to disrespect their teachers? Are we encouraging apathy with our lack of interest in our world? It may be time for a big change in America. Are we willing to be a part of it?

There are so many things that we take for granted... clean abundant water, education for all, enough food for all of us and yet we don't feel obligated to take a stand to ensure these continue to be available to us all, for our children and for their children to come. I just don't get it!


Get up... go think... go vote! Be a grown up!

No comments: