Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Just some random thoughts about this week...


It's a very busy week. I'm excited about having family visiting from out of state. My Aunt, who is going to be 89 years old in September, is here for the week and is staying down at our place on the shoreline with a friend. She's here to have a get away from her apartment. She has been confined to it all winter and spring after a "mini-stroke." She looks terrific by the way! Today we went on a day trip to Mystic Seaport. It was a beautiful day and I think that she enjoyed it. I pushed her all around in a wheel chair so she could see it all, without getting exhausted. Lunch out is a big treat.
My sister is coming later in the week from Michigan. I am so excited to have her here. I shared a bedroom with her for 17 years, until I left for Nursing School, she was my closest friend, my worst enemy and my confidant. We shared everything, clothes, friends, secrets, joys and sorrows and a very small space.

There have been too many stressful situations in her life recently. These events have been very distressing to her. Heartbreaking! She has a heart of gold and she is "my little sister." People take her for granted and assume that she can "take a hit." Too many more hits and she'll be down for the count. When will anyone take care of her??

I would like to protect her. I'd like to make everything all right. I guess I'm mostly sad and disappointed that I can't solve the problems . Life.... is tough at times. I think that she is strong and will be able to get through all of this. But it still hurts.

I am happy that when she gets here I can pamper her. I'll try to give her a break from the difficulties that she'll be leaving at home.
I know what she needs, girl only shopping time, a mani and pedi, a glass of wine and some Hot Tub Time! If Mother Nature cooperates, maybe even some sun time on the dock!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish that I had a sister. (or a brother for that matter)

Anonymous said...

Debbie and I were so close growing up. She is my big sister and I just loved adn cherished everything about her. She could do nothing wrong. I still love everything about her, she is my rock and sometimes I lay a little too much on her. She has had such a difficult year too. So I am glad that we had some quality time together. We talk everyday which is great, but to touch and share things face to face is so special
We had a great day yesterday being sisters together, went to the beach house, kayaked, went to MaMa Mia's and ate dinner, shopped.
We had fun, fun. fun.
I love her and always will.
Thanks Deb!
Her sister,
Cindy

Lisa said...

I think the two of you are so lucky to have one another! That you each have the other to listen, lean, support, laugh, cry, cherish and love is such a blessing.....