Tuesday, August 19, 2008

There is the hint of autumn in the air.


It's happening, there are littlest signs. The subtle changes in the length of the daylight hours, or the brief glimpse of the red tipped leaves on an occasional tree giving away the secret. The changes are starting to peek into our summer days. The grass has a different smell of autumn coming. The corn stalks are tall and full. The pumpkins are growing big on their vines.
I'm happy to watch the changes as they come and I'll admit that I'm feeling a bit of melancholy for the days when the kids were small. Remembering rushing and being in the crowds of families, as everyone is shopping for new school clothes and notebooks. I loved the chatter of the kids guessing who would be in their classroom that year and who would not. Fun memories.
My life is as it should be. In my own life things go on as if summer never ends. It's a relief not to be worrying about those things today. But I will be mourning the loss of daylight hours and the warm summer breezes. I can look forward to snuggling inside and bundling up for outdoors adventures. I'll relax and take in the autumn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Summer goes by so quickly. We can't wait for it to come, it seems to take so long to arrive. The days are so long and the flowers so beautiful. Now we have new changes to look forward to with change of seasons. Nice weather for a while, before the winter chill comes. I can't really say that I am a fan of the winter. I love summer.