Monday, August 18, 2008

My sister Cindy


It went by too fast. There was so much more to show her and to share with her. We did get some great time together in the Hot Tub to relax and just share thoughts and feelings. Anyone who has had Hot Tub time knows that you just relax and feelings pour out into the water and leave you.
We shared some family time with our Aunt Betty and Joe. We got into some trouble the way we always did. She helped me out of some difficulties and I helped her to think about some of hers in different ways. It was wonderful. I am so blessed to have her to share my treasures with.
Our most precious treasure, baby Aliza, was there for lots of her trip. I was so excited for her to see the kids and watch them with their new baby. They are so wonderful and CALM! (I never was.) She is a delightful little cherub. I will never get enough of her. She is smiling and responding to her surroundings now and that is so much fun.
After doing some work cleaning up the beach house after our guests had left, we headed out on a kayak adventure down the cove. The sun came out and it turned into a gorgeous summer day. We finished up the work together and relaxed out in the front yard and watched the afternoon go by. Later we went to see MaMa Mia at the movies down in our little town, and shared popcorn (I ate most of it). I shared our favorite spot for LOBSTER. We went to the DOCK, to have Lobster roll and fresh shrimp and shared a Blue Moon Beer. Yummmmy- We watched the sun set and relaxed. To top off a great day, we stopped at LL BEAN on the way home to do some shopping, which is always fun.
Cindy had brought along these two book with her , for us to fill out. One for her and one for me . They are Memory keepers for mothers to fill out about themselves, to pass stories onto their children about their lives. It was so much fun filling out the different areas; What was our room like? (I had some old pictures to show her) What was our favorite pastime? Where were you born? It goes on and on. What fun it was to think about all of these things and share them with someone who was there with you!
In years past I would resent how much alike we were. I would get mad that my individuality was being taken away. We were always dressed alike, more accurately it was- dressed that we were dressed identically. We were treated as one unit-"the girls". As young adults we moved very far from each other. Not on purpose it just happened. The years separated us and so did the miles. Now we have come together again. Now in recent years, after raising our families and burying our parents we are together again.
This time I realized how wonderful it was to have my sister close to me. I have realized I loved being with someone just like me. I know how very precious this all is and how quickly it can be taken away. Not many people have this gift..... I do! Why did it take me so long to enjoy it? I wasted so much time trying to be just me, alone. It is so great being us, together!
Now we have shared our families with each other. We know each others children very well and love them all so much. We have given our children a gift that we never had- cousins- to share life with. Family to take with you on into your life's journeys. Thanks Cindy - I love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being a wife and mother takes a lot of time and energy. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't have changed a thing my husband is very special and I love him very much, Imissed him terribly while I was away. My three sons mean the world to me, now I have two special daughter-in laws and soon a very special first grandchild. But,my sister was in my life first. She taught me who I was. I looked up to her, followed her every where, wore her clothes,
went to the same college for nursing.Sometimes there was jealousy and confusion as we found out who we were. We went our ways to raise our beautiful families. Sadly we didn't live close enough to be together all that often when the kids were little. Now the cousins have found each other and they can't get enough time with one another. They are very similar in the way they were brought up and the way they value things today. So the miles were between us but somehow things have turned out just fine. I would give anything to be right next door to her or at least in the area. Life is way to short, I know I will need a shoulder to cry on and so will she and I want to be right there for her. We had a wonderful time this past week being face to face talking about everything, and I do mean everything we didn't leave a stone unturned. We comforted each other, cryed, laughed, and sat in silence, snuggled with Aliza. Memories to hold on to until I see you again.
I love you Deb. Your sister, Cindy