Having a friend in your life is such a gift. Women have a different kind of relationship with their friends than men do. I don't know this for a fact, I have simply observed this. We actually tell our friends how we feel. Men rarely talk about "feelings". I know that we do this way to much and not often enough. We often hear or say things that we shouldn't -but a friend forgives you because that's what a true friend does.I began my life with a "built in" friend. My little sister. We definitely did and said things to each other that hurt, on purpose and by mistake. It was a great opportunity to try out a life long friendship. I count her as my dearest friend. Sisters have a way of loving you, in spite of the hell that you made them live in, throughout their entire childhood. It's like punches and head locks for brothers ,only the bruises are often emotional. But on occasion they were physical too- I broke my sisters finger during one of our fights! There weren't too many of those. We were verbal fighters. We shared everything... a room, our clothes, one bathroom. We don't fight anymore.
Many of my closest friends are nurses like me. I guess we attract each other, like magnets we've stuck together pretty tightly for about 30 years. On the pediatric unit where we all met as new grads, we built trust and memories working together and playing together. We have helped each other get through some of the saddest days and the most wonderful days, a person could have at their job. If that was sitting with a parent who had just been told that their child had died or if we've jumped up to answer a call to help as the doctors work to keep a child alive after she had been struck by a car. That kind of bond takes you to a different level with your friend. The honesty of your hardest days are true measurements.
A true friend is not afraid to tell you the truth. She will also spare you as much pain as possible. " You don't like it???-I asked ...If I didn't want you tell me the truth, I wouldn't ask." or, "Yeah, your ass does look HUGE in those pants, but your SHOES are terrific.".
My friends have been my lookouts. They scout ahead for me and protect me from trouble. I try to do the same for them. My friend Jan is the best at this. Thinking ahead and preparing me for trouble, traps or ambushes. She is a great listener and jumps in to be anything that I need her to be. I've enjoyed her companionship as much as I would a sister's. We took a trip to Florida one spring to do some work on the family condo. We were arguing about a comforter we were purchasing, and where to eat dinner. Suddenly, we noticed that we had "drawn a crowd". They thought that we were sisters!!! The women at the register insisted that we were. What fun we had.
So ladies, treasure your friends. Remember to be truthful, honest, and like a great BRA always use a little bit of "padding" to give the best support. Tell them how important they are to you.
Hallmark should declare a BEST FRIENDS DAY.
4 comments:
Sisters are wonderful! They have a bond that can never be broken. Friends are great, but Never could take the place of a sister.
What Is A Sister?
A sister is someone more special than words.
She's love mixed with friendship, the best things in life.
She's so much inner beauty blended together with an outward
appearance that brings a smile to the happiness in your heart. A sister
is one of the most precious people in the story of your life.
And you'll always be together, whether you're near or apart.
Together, you have shared some of the most special moments
two people have ever shared. A sister is a perspective on the past, and she's a
million favorite memories that will always last. A sister is a photograph that
is one of your most treasured possesions. She's a note that arrives on a
special day, and when there's news to share, she's the first one you want to call.
A sister is a reminder of the blessings that come from closeness. Sharing secrets.
Disclosing dreams. Learning about life together.
A sister is a confidante and a counseleor. She's a dear and
wonderful friend, and - in certain ways - something like a twin.
She's a hand within your hand; she's so often the only one who really
understands.
A sister is honesty and trust enfolded with love. She's sometimes the
only person who sees the horizon from your point of view, and she helps you
to see things more clearly. She is a helper and a guide, and she
is a feeling, deep inside, that makes you wonder what you would ever do without her.
What is a sister? She's someone more special than words; someone beautiful
and unique. And in so many ways, there is no one who is loved so dearly.
This is my sister and I love her!
This was so encouraging to me in two ways... as a beautiful reminder to me of what my friends mean to me and also that there is hope for my two girls to be best friends despite the hell they create for each other already!!! (and they are only 8 and 6 yet so strikingly opposite!). Thanks also for visiting my blog! I look forward to reading yours now!
Post a Comment